Thursday 6 September 2012

Our actual house

After lunch I feel not much better and so tired. Josh wants to watch the Arsenal game which manages to just trump my desire to nap. Apparently we can watch it at a pub. 'Pub' transpires to mean glorified  wendy hut. Wendy hut yes, but glorified in the highest. There is a cinema construction composed of three walls, a wide screen attached to the far side, 4 ranks of benches ranged in front. The dimensions are not more than 10 by 6ft. I've never used the phrase, 'a bit village' before, as soon as I find myself in a situation where it the phrase can most perfectly be applied, Kenya, it becomes tautology.

It's now afternoon so the rain sets in, as the benches are full our backs are getting wet. We get invited to watch the rest of the game in the living room of the big dog in charge of this set up. It seems white people, or mzungu's, Are treated like royalty here! We meet a group of men already watching from elaborately upholstered, (imported, I discover, a point of great pride) sofas. I admire a splendid trophy display and we discover that our host is a champion at Kenyan volley ball. He looks slightly surprising for some one professing to be such an athlete, a little gone to seed, slightly sun-dried looking, with a pot belly which belied any special speed or agility.

One man is mechanically working his way through a capacious brown paper bag of uh, roots? They appear to be slightly more organic looking Mikado chocolate sticks, hallowed with a fuzzy fringe of dusty rootlets. Turns out its a natural sort of drug which acts as a stimulant, as innocent as coffee? Or as noxious and potent as opium? I have no idea. I kind of want to try one. The Arsenal game skips across the glazed face of my attention, but my peripheries are going crazy with seeing and being surprised.



No comments:

Post a Comment